Guitar, Bass, Ukulele, & Piano
Originally from Houston, TX, Chris Turvill has extensive experience teaching music to children, specializing in guitar, bass, ukulele, and piano. In addition to managing afterschool music programs, Chris worked as a substitute teacher in elementary, middle, and high school classes for the Austin Independent School District. Prior to Sense & Color, Chris hails most recently from California, where he taught private and group guitar lessons and rock band classes to children in various afterschool programs, including Boys and Girls Club of Napa and Instrumental Music for Children in Walnut Creek.
As his piano lessons were more formal and classically based, his guitar and bass lessons were an improvisational expedition in rock and jazz classics, leading into high school jazz band and a trip to Jamey Aebersold’s summer workshop. During his college years in Austin, he gained live experience playing around town, while also writing and recording his own experimental rock compositions, which he continues to do. After college, his musical excursions led to gigs at a variety of venues from wineries to art collectives in Napa, CA to a week-long course with Robert Fripp’s Guitar Circle to learn how physical disciplines like Tai Chi and Alexander Technique benefit performance.
Full Teacher List by Instrument:
- Bass instructors: Chris Turvill | Nathan Snyder
- Drum instructors: Matt Bongirno | Jose Gutierrez
- Guitar instructors: Jordan Bradshaw | Nathan Snyder | Chris Turvill
- Piano instructors: Nathan Snyder | Josh Terry | Allysa Martinez | Tracy Michele
- Ukulele instructors: Chris Turvill
- Violin instructors: Megan Berson | Josh Terry | Allysa Martinez
- Viola instructors: Megan Berson | Allysa Martinez
- Vocal instructors: Julia Watkins-Davis | Allysa Martinez | Tracy Michele | Jordan Bradshaw