Drums & Percussion
Matt’s studies in percussion started in 1997, and have spanned just about every form, including snare, marimba, timpani, vibraphone, marching snare, and drum set. During his college years he studied jazz percussion, and over the years, played with the Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps, the Holy Cross Lutheran Praise Band in College Station, TX, the Texas A&M University Jazz Ensemble, and the Hullabaloo Pep Band, as well as playing percussion for Houston Texans home games and Texas A&M games at Reed Arena and Madison Square Garden in New York City.
When Matt isn’t playing and teaching drums, he’s playing and teaching guitar, an instrument he’s played almost as long as percussion. Currently, Matt tours with country singer/songwriter Mark McKinney, and performs with various artists in Austin, including the funk, rock, and jazz fusion band Strawberry Jam, as well as filling in with Jericho, a jam-rock group.
Matt contributes his success largely to his many positive music mentors and teachers, whose broad range of teaching and technique philosophies has provided him a diverse bag of tools to help him accommodate each student’s skill level and learning type. That said, his one constant in teaching philosophy is a positive and creative attitude, and he loves working with students to reach their full potential.
Full Teacher List by Instrument:
- Bass instructors: Chris Turvill | Nathan Snyder
- Drum instructors: Matt Bongirno | Jose Gutierrez
- Guitar instructors: Jordan Bradshaw | Nathan Snyder | Chris Turvill
- Piano instructors: Nathan Snyder | Josh Terry | Allysa Martinez | Tracy Michele
- Ukulele instructors: Chris Turvill
- Violin instructors: Megan Berson | Josh Terry | Allysa Martinez
- Viola instructors: Megan Berson | Allysa Martinez
- Vocal instructors: Julia Watkins-Davis | Allysa Martinez | Tracy Michele | Jordan Bradshaw